Rear towline anchorage
Vehicles which do not have a factory-fitted towing bracket* have a towline anchorage on the right side of the rear bumper.
Fig. 240 Rear bumper: Fitting the towing eye
Vehicles with towline anchorage
– Take the towline anchorage out of the vehicle's tool kit.
– To detach the cover cap from the bumper, firmly press the lower part of the cap inwards to release it ⇒ fig. 240.
– Screw the towline anchorage firmly all the way into the screw connection.
Vehicles with towing bracket*
– Fit the towing bracket if it is not already in place.
– Attach the towbar or the towrope to the towing bracket.
After use, unscrew the towline anchorage and put it back in the toolbox. Replace the cap in the screw connection. The towline anchorage should always be kept in the vehicle.
Vehicles which have a factory-fitted towing bracket* do not have a screw connection at the rear for the towline anchorage.
• If the towline anchorage is not screwed in as far as the stop, there is a risk of the screw connection shearing off during towing (accident risk).
• If your car has a towing bracket*, please use only special tow bars with suitable attachments (i.e. tow bars which are specially designed for use with towing brackets) to avoid damage to the coupling equipment.
• If your car has a towing bracket*, please use only special towing ropes (risk of accident).