Selector lever positions
This section covers all the selector lever positions.
Display: Selector lever positions
The current selector lever position is shown in the instrument cluster display.
P - Parking lock
This locks the driving wheels mechanically. The parking lock must only be engaged when the vehicle is stationary ⇒ .
The interlock button (the button in the selector lever handle) must be pressed in and the brake pedal must be depressed before moving the selector lever either in or out of position P. The lever can only be moved out of position P when the ignition is on.
R - Reverse gear
When reverse gear is engaged the gearbox automatically selects the lowest gear ratio.
Reverse gear must only be engaged when the vehicle is stationary and the engine is idling ⇒ .
To move the selector lever to position R, press in the interlock button and at the same time press the brake pedal. Depending on the model, one or two reversing lights will come on in selector lever position R (when ignition is switched on).
N - Neutral
In this position the gearbox is in neutral ⇒ .
D - Drive (forwards)
In this position the gearbox automatically selects the best gear ratio. This depends on the engine load, the road speed and the dynamic gear control program (DCP).
Press the brake pedal when moving the selector lever from N to D if the vehicle is stationary or at speeds below 5 km/h ⇒ .
In some situations (such as on mountain roads or when towing a trailer or caravan) it can be advantageous to switch temporarily to tiptronic mode, so that the gear ratios can be selected manually to suit the driving conditions.
S - Sport position
Select this position if you wish to take full advantage of the car's performance. This setting makes use of the engine's maximum power output. When accelerating the gear shifts will be noticeable. Press the brake pedal when moving the selector lever from N to S if the vehicle is stationary or at speeds below 5 km/h ⇒ .
- • Never move the selector lever to R or P when driving, as this could cause an accident.
- • In selector position D or S the vehicle must always be held with the foot brake when the engine is running. This is because an automatic gearbox still transmits power even at idling speed, and the vehicle tends to “creep”. The throttle must on no account be opened inadvertently (for instance by hand from the engine compartment) when a gear is engaged with the vehicle stationary. The vehicle could otherwise start moving immediately (in some cases even if the parking brake is engaged) and possibly cause an accident.
- • To avoid accidents, apply the parking brake and put the selector lever in position P before opening the bonnet and working on the vehicle with the engine running. Please observe the important safety warnings, “Working on components in the engine compartment”.
You can select the sport program for gear changes on vehicles with Audi drive select* by activating the DYNAMIC mode. There is no S position on the selector lever.
- • Applies to vehicles with tiptronic gearbox:
- • If the lever is moved accidentally to N when driving, release the accelerator and let the engine speed drop to idling before selecting D or S again.
- • For the sake of fuel economy (and the environment), the gearbox ratios on some models are designed so that maximum speed is only obtained when the selector lever is at position S.